Monday, March 5, 2007

The warmth of a smile

Yesterday when I was walking down town, I was passing a homeless man whom I recognized from seeing him around town. He was walking up the sidewalk, I was walking down. I stopped to say, "Hello." I figure that generally people don't give the homeless very much attention and I wanted to give him some. I said, "It's pretty cold out here today" (the temperature was below freezing). He replied, "Well, if the wind doesn't blow, it's not too bad, and if I keep my hands in my pockets, it helps." He was continuing to walk up the sidewalk to wherever his destination was, most likely the post office to stay warm for a while or the library. I smiled and told him to "keep warm." He smiled back and kept walking.

What are we doing to help the homeless?

No comments: