Monday, March 12, 2007

Do we underestimate the Blessed Mother's power?


I wonder if we underestimate the Blessed Mother's power? Recently, a friend called upon me in need of prayer and advice. She was enduring heartache due to family dynamics. She was facing a very problematic situation. I offered prayer and a listening ear. I also suggested a Memorare novena. This is nine Memorares prayed to the Blessed Mother when in an immediate or dire need. In other words, for lack of better terms, when you want the Blessed Mother to move fast! I learned this from Blessed Teresa of Calcutta who taught her sisters to pray this novena often. Another saintly person I knew, Fr. John Hardon S.J., a great theologian and author, now deceased, used this form of prayer, as well. So, we are in good company when we decide to beseech our dear Mother in this way. To be clear about this, one would pray nine Memorares in a row, no need to wait for nine days to pass! You can do this as often as you would like. By the way, my friend in need of a miracle, after praying this novena received her miracle!

MEMORARE

Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored your help and sought thy intercession, was left unaided. Inspired with this confidence, I fly unto thee, O Virgin of Virgins, my Mother. To thee I come; before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy, hear and answer me. Amen.

Saint John Vianney (Cure d'Ars, 1786 - 1859) said, "If you invoke the Blessed Virgin when you are tempted, she will come at once to your help, and Satan will leave you."

No comments: