Wednesday, August 29, 2007

My dear Fr. Bill

I haven't been able to post lately because I have been visiting with my dear friend and spiritual director of over 25 years, Fr. William C. Smith out of town for the last couple of days. Fr. Bill had extensive surgery to remove a cancerous tumor several months ago and has not fully recovered his strength. He is 86 years old. Prior to his surgery he had been leading a very active life for someone of his age - saying Mass every morning - hearing Confessions for hours on end even though he is retired, taking continuous phone calls from people calling for his prayers, frequenting the area abortion clinics in a few different locations to peacefully picket and pray the Rosary, as well as sidewalk counsel whenever possible (this is something I did with him for many years), and writing continuous pro-life Letters to the Editor.

When my children and I were leaving him yesterday (because he needed rest), Fr.Bill gave us continuous blessings even though he barely had strength to lift his right hand. He also gave my son, Joseph (who is going away to college in a couple of days) a huge blessing the prior day.

My beloved friend, Fr. Bill died peacefully last night at 11:50 on the feast of Saint Augustine. Please say a prayer for his soul, although I'm sure he went straight up! And please also for his very large family. He will be missed by so many friends and family members. I know that Fr. Bill's prayers are even more powerful now. Please excuse me for the next few days while I tend to the needs of his friends, family and attend the services.

God bless you all!

8 comments:

EC Gefroh said...

Oh Donna. I am so sorry to read that Fr. Bill has past away. Eternal rest grant him O Lord and may Your perpetual light shine upon him. May Fr. Bill rest in peace.

Donna-Marie Cooper O'Boyle said...

Thank you, dear Esther. Your care and prayers mean a lot to me.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry, Donna. I know he meant a lot to you.

Love and prayers,
Jaime

Unknown said...

Donna, I am so sorry for your loss. I will keep his soul, his family and your precious family in my prayers. God bless all of you! Lisa

Donna-Marie Cooper O'Boyle said...

Jaime, thank you so very much for your condolences.

Donna-Marie Cooper O'Boyle said...

Dear Lisa,

Thank you so much for your kind words and offer of prayers.

Karen Edmisten said...

Donna,
I'm so sorry for the loss of your dear friend and director, a loss I know you'll feel deeply. May his soul rest in peace ... prayers for him and for you.

Donna-Marie Cooper O'Boyle said...

Dear Karen,

Your kind words and offer of prayers mean so much to me. Thank you.