Friday, August 10, 2007

Fr. James's Sunday Homily

A man stopped by a policeman for driving without a taillight became visibly distressed. The policeman said, “Don’t take it so hard; I am only doing my job giving you this ticket.” “Sorry, officer,” the man replied, “What worries me is what’s happened to my wife and my trailer?”



Another man went to the doctor for his annual physical. When he returned home, his wife noticed that he was troubled and anxious. “What’s the matter, dear?” asked the man’s wife. “The doctor told me that I would have to take a pill every day for the rest of my life”. “That’s nothing to be upset about”, said his wife. “There are a lot of people that have to take medication for the rest of their lives.” “Yes, dear, I understand”, said the man. “But the doctor only gave me one pill”.



Life is filled with many difficulties and challenges that cause us to be fearful. Each day we are confronted with many events that may cause us to become apprehensive. Going to a new school; starting a new job; having to take the car in for repairs on the busiest day of the week; dealing with a computer virus; missing an important deadline at work; getting laid off from work; coping with a child’s sudden illness; these are just some of the many things that happen each day that may cause us to be filled with fear, sick with apprehension.



This Sunday’s Gospel narrative gives us a clear teaching on how we are to handle fear. "Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom” (Luke 12: 32).

Continued here.

No comments: