Saturday, July 12, 2008

Fr. James is ready to Rock and Roll about the Theology of the Body!


My friend, Fr. James who is a pastor at a parish in Texas and a very fine priest will be a contributing author to Catholic Exchange's new "Theology of the Body" channel of their marvelous website. If you know a priest who would enjoy these articles or one you know could benefit from this information, please pass on this post to them. You may read it yourself and find it very interesting, too. Feel free to leave a comment here at my blog and also at Catholic Exchange if you would like with suggestion, questions, or other feedback.

Thanks and enjoy!

God bless!

Donna-Marie

Priestly Celibacy: Introduction


What does priestly celibacy have to do with the Theology of the Body? Isn’t all of this talk about John Paul II’s teaching really just for married couples? Surprisingly, this is what a lot of priests really do think.

I have been asked to write a series of articles for priests on the topic of celibacy in light of John Paul’s Theology of the Body. Wow, what a task I signed up for! I don’t claim to be an expert on the subject. I am on a journey too. But, I do know that just as the whole business about sex and marriage is confusing for most people who are called to marriage, the whole business about sex and celibacy is really confusing for many priests. Wouldn’t it be better just to let Catholic priests marry? What’s the big deal?

I am not going to try and answer every concern and every issue just in one short article. These articles will be a work in progress. I am learning a lot about John Paul’s Theology of the Body and I welcome comments and corrections. However, I can promise you that in these articles I will be who I am: up-front, direct, honest and controversial. I thrive on controversy. Controversy makes life interesting and exciting. So, if you are ready to rock and roll, let’s begin.

Theology of the Body requires study. John Paul’s teachings from his General Audiences are not easy to plow through. Begin by purchasing a copy of Man and Woman He Created Them: A Theology of the Body by John Paul II and Michael Waldstein. Read this along with Christopher West’s Theology of the Body Explained. I can guarantee one thing: if you assimilate the message of these books and make it your own, you will see celibacy and the priesthood in a whole new dimension. These teachings are really awesome... (Continued here)

No comments: