Saturday, May 23, 2009

Christopher West's theology in question by theologian

This was found through the Catholic News Agency. A very enlightening article, revealing things and concerns that I have had but haven't had time to research enough about it to form an opinion. I am presently not voicing my opinion, but feel I should present this article for you to ponder yourselves. Fair warning for those who may blush - the continuation of the article contains graphic and explicit details about what should be an intimate subject between spouses and some of which may seem totally out of whack!

Here is the article by David L. Schindler
Provost/Dean and Gagnon Professor of Fundamental Theology at the Pontifical Institute for Studies on Marriage and Family:

"Regarding his interview on Nightline, Christopher West says that his remarks were taken out of context. In some sense, this is surely true. However, the comments as aired are the latest in a long list of statements and actions not inconsistent with the context set by the Nightline editors.

Though occasioned by West’s Nightline appearance, the present statement addresses his theology as a whole.

Let me stress that I agree with those who vigorously defend West’s intention of fidelity to the Church. Certainly he has had positive results in drawing many Catholics into a deeper understanding of their faith. As for myself, I do not initiate anything about West in my classes, but only respond when asked a question. Then I begin by emphasizing West’s intention of orthodoxy. As I have often put it, "he would throw himself in front of a bus for the Church." It is important to understand, however, that good will is not synonymous with sound thought; and I must say, not without reluctance, that West’s work seems to me to misrepresent in significant ways the thought of John Paul II.

The following examples have been verified by persons directly involved or by things written by West himself (and I regret the necessary adoption of West’s own language).

West’s work has involved suggesting that a man and woman bless their..." (Continued here).

1 comment:

elena maria vidal said...

Thank you for this, Donna. I have had the same concerns but could not quite put them into words.